Most electric vehicles have been around for over a century, yet their more mainstream notoriety has been only within the last 10 to 15 years. Today, the push to move to all-electric vehicles has drastically grown with the global zero-emissions and climate impact initiatives. While electric compact and sedan cars have dominated the EV market, many manufacturers are presently developing EV pickup trucks.
The development of EV pickup trucks is anticipated to become highly competitive for the EV market, with big American manufacturers, such as Ford, adding all-electric varieties to their most popular pickup vehicle lineups.
Ford is releasing its most sold pickup to date, the Ford F-150 Lightning as an EV pickup truck. Let’s explore the Ford F-150 Lightning, what features to expect, the model lineup, and price considerations.
All-electric features to expect
Set for its anticipated release in spring 2022, the Ford F-150 Lightning is expected to be highly competitive with other manufacturers in the EV pickup truck market. One of the most significant features of this EV pickup truck is that Ford has designed it to look almost identical to its gasoline-powered version.
Additionally, this EV truck will offer a good battery range depending on the trim design. The standard-range battery for this Ford EV truck is an estimated 230 miles on a full charge. Higher trim models can anticipate an extended range for the battery at a projected 300 miles of drive range.
Benefits of this EV pickup truck
The all-electric drive range on the Ford F-150 Lightning handles up to 300 miles per charge, and there are some robust new and existing features to expect as well. For this EV pickup truck, Ford has also designed it to include an all-new, military-grade aluminum-alloy body and a new independent rear suspension designed specifically for this truck.
The F-150 Lightning models will be standard with two electric motors and all-wheel-drive capabilities. Also, it should be noted that most models in this truck lineup will have the extended battery as an optional add-on for purchase.
These pickups will come standard and packed with extensive horsepower for an all-electric truck. For example, the standard package model will have 426 horsepower with both electric motors combined. And with the extended-range battery trim model, consumers can expect approximately 563 horsepower.
Along with the new features specific to these trucks and powerful horsepower, consumers can trust that these Ford EV trucks will also have vigorous towing and haul capabilities. With the standard all-wheel drive on all the trucks, this pickup is capable of towing up to 10,000 pounds. These features and benefits make this truck attractive to everyday truck enthusiasts and industrial work truck consumers.
Ford F-150 Lightning lineup and pricing
While this all-new Ford EV pickup truck uses the name from the manufacturer’s production history, the F-150 Lightning will be a completely all-new model for its truck lineup for the 2022 model year.
The regular gasoline Ford F-150 trim models that are available for owners will also be available trim models for the Ford EV version of this truck. Below are the four trim models that buyers can expect for these vehicles.
- Lightning Pro (base model) – This trim will be the standard base model with an anticipated up to the 230-mile range and tow capability of approximately 7,700 pounds. The base model price for this EV pickup truck will retail starting at an estimated $40,000.
- Lightning XLT – This model will be a step up from the Pro model and include additional trim features. The features will consist of a tow technology package, 18-inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, lane centering, and navigation. The XLT model will also have an extended battery as an option and a power tailgate and LED lighting in the truck bed. Its estimated retail price is expected to start at around $53,000.
- Lightning Lariat – Including most of the features of the XLT model, the Lariat does add more to its trim package. The Lariat model will also include added amenities, such as retractable running boards, a power tailgate, park assist, 20-inch wheels, and heated plus cooled seats as standard options. The approximate retail cost for the Lariat will start at around $59,000.
- Lightning Platinum – The top-of-the-line features of the F-150 Lightning Platinum will include all the hallmarks found in the lesser trim models. The Platinum will have leather interiors and 22-inch wheels. All-tow packages will be standard for this model. The estimated price for this trim will start at around $70,000.
Concluding thoughts on the Ford F-150 Lightning
The Ford F-150 Lightning will bring not only the Ford name to the EV market, but also Ford’s bestselling F-150 pickup truck. This EV pickup will be strong competition for other more expensive EV trucks on the market.
The price is also going to be competitive and allow affordability to truck owners looking to branch into the EV truck market. It’s predicted that the robust capabilities of the F-150 Lightning model lineup will allow current gasoline-powered engine owners to transition over to an EV option. With affordability and durability, the Ford F-150 Lightning could possibly even provide competition to its only gas-powered engine models.
- The best EV sedans coming in 2022 (so far)
- Ford F-150 Lightning vs. Tesla Cybertruck: Which should you get?
- What Volkswagen has on the horizon for EVs
- Bollinger Motors joins the EV world with an SUV and truck model
- 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E: Here’s what we know